Friday, February 16

down there by sandra cisneros

Yes,
I want to talk at length about Men-
struation. Or my period.
Or the rag as you so lovingly put it.
All right then.

I'd like to mention my rag time.

Gelatinous. Steamy
and lovely to the light to look at
like a good glass of burgundy. Suddenly
I'm artist each month.
The star inside this like a ruby.
Fascinating bits of sticky
I-don't-know-what stuff.
The afterbirth without the birth.
The gobs of a strawberry jam.
Membrane stretchy like
saliva in your hand.

It's important you feel it's slickness,
understand the the texture isn't bloody at all.
That you don't gush
between the legs. Rather,
it unravels itself like string
from some deep deep center--
like a Russain subatomic submarine,
or better, like a mad Karlov cackling
behind beakers and blooping spirals.
Still with me?

Oh I know, darling,
I'm indulging, but indulge
me if you please.
I find the subject charming.

In fact,
I'd like to dab my fingers
in my inkwell
and write a poem across the wall.
"A Poem of Womanhood"
Now wouldn't that be something?

Words writ in blood. But no,
not blood at all, I told you.
If blood is thicker than water, then
menstruation is thicker than brother-
hood. And the way

it metamorhposizes! Dazzles.
Changing daily
like starlight.
From the first
transparent drop of light
to the fifth day chocolate paste.

I haven't mentioned smell. Think
Persian rug.
But thicker. Think
cello.
But richer.
A sweet exotic stuff
from an ancient prehistoric center.
Dark, distinct,
and excellently
female.

--- From the collection, Loose Woman

10 shout-outs:

Anonymous said...

but that is not the whole poem! there are like three more pages!

gudgurlgonewrong said...

really? you should share the whole poem.i am not aware of that.

Anonymous said...

this is one of my favorite poems...i lost my copy of the book ("Loose Woman", by Sandra Cisneros) and, in looking for a copy of this poem, came repeatedly upon your site. This is neither the complete(...or completely accurate)...verson of the poem. A poem isn't itself without its beginning. gudgurl, get the book, it'll last longer.

gudgurlgonewrong said...

i wish i could grab a copy of her book. i'll start looking for it in bookstores. thanks so much for the info.

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

Kerkedijk said...

Wonderful poem, thank you for writing this, I love it. How can I read all of it?

gudgurlgonewrong said...

kerkedijk,

i believe it is part of sandra cisnero's collection of poems in her book entitled "Loose Woman:Poems." if you are interested, this is the link of amazon.com where you can purchase the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Loose-Woman-Poems-Sandra-Cisneros/dp/0679755276

Anonymous said...

Nonetheless, masses in the United States should recognise that
Cholesterol, likewise known as the bad Cholesterol.


My site :: home remedies high cholesterol blood

Anonymous said...

Now Ziff testament launching a 36 "Best" Blogging platform is crucial.


my weblog; click here